Ashley O'Brien H122

Thursday, November 11, 2004

The Importance of History 122

When I first came to Clemson I knew that I wanted to major in engineering, but I had no idea what kind. In addition to hearing from all of the engineering departments and going on several tours, this class also helped me to make my decision as to what kind of engineer to be. I have finally decided that I want to be an industrial engineer.

During the Technology and Work lecture on October 8th, we discussed Frank and Lillian Gilbreth, parents of twelve children. Frank Gilbreth worked in factories to improve efficiency and eliminate wasted motion. Lillian Gilbreth created an efficient system at home in order to care for her twelve children. I find the story of these two pioneers of industrial engineering extremely fascinating, and they are just one more reason for me to become an industrial engineer. I guess it might also be a family thing because my dad graduated from the engineering college at his school with a degree in industrial management although I never really thought about that until after I had already made my decision.

In addition to helping me discover what kind of engineering I wished to pursue, this class has also made me think more about the responsibilities of engineers. I had never really considered the fact that engineers must be so sensitive to the reactions of society. I am glad that I have had the opportunity to learn about this topic, a topic that is hardly covered in the CES 102 course.

Also, under the new industrial engineering curriculum, this course is a requirement. I think that that is a good idea because all engineers, especially industrial engineers, could benefit from knowing the history of their profession. This is especially helpful to industrial engineers because the job of industrial engineers is to change things so that they work more efficiently. If they did not know what had succeeded in the past, then they would not know if something would work in the future. Since industrial engineering tends to work more with people than other kinds of engineering, learning about the affects that technology has on society is extremely helpful.

Furthermore, with the evolution of computers, engineering has changed a great deal over the past fifty years and will continue to change well into the future. Industrial engineers must be able to adapt to these changes and make the other engineering disciplines more efficient. I look forward to someday being a part of this profession, and I look forward to continuing to learn about it in my next few years at Clemson.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home